Mazen Fares said that wherever he was, there was a pack of Tums close by.
“If I was in bed, there were Tums on the table next to the bed. If I was sitting in a chair, there were Tums on the table next to me. In the car, in bed, everywhere!” he says with a laugh.
But the life-threatening acid reflux-related condition that led to the almost round-the-clock Tums consumption, and frequent uninsured emergency room visits was no laughing matter. Fares threw up constantly for years. The problem became so severe that he threw up after every meal and would unexpectedly be forced while driving to pull off the road to throw up. He often woke up in the middle of the night choking on his own vomit.
A referral from a Sarasota County clinic that serves uninsured residents in Sarasota led the Manatee resident to We Care Manatee, where he was referred to a gastroenterologist who performed surgery to correct the problem.
“No more Tums,” Fares he says with a big grin.